04 July 2019
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS - NISIS Autumn School 2019
From Monday 28 until Thursday 31 October 2019, the NISIS Autumn School will be held at Utrecht University. The theme of this year’s Autumn School is ‘Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies in the Digital Age’.
PhD candidates, research master students and advanced MA students, whose research focuses on the study of Muslims, Muslim societies and Islam in the broadest sense of the word, are invited to apply for participation. Successful applicants will be granted participation in the full program.
To apply for participation, upload the necessary information (see below) on the NISIS website before Monday 2 September 2019, 09.00 hrs (CET) and fill out the registration form. Please read the call for applications carefully, incomplete applications or applications submitted after this date will not be taken into consideration.
• A CV
• A motivation letter
• A one-page description of your MA thesis or PhD project, indicating supervisor(s)
• A title and an abstract of your presentation (250 words max)*. Presentations must be related to the theme of the Autumn School
• A short biography (50 words max, in third person)*
*If your application is successful these will be used in the program booklet.
1. NISIS junior members automatically qualify for participation, but DO need to apply by sending in a title, an abstract and a short biography (see requirements above).
2. The number of people who are to be admitted to the NISIS Autumn School is limited.
3. Lunches and a conference dinner will be included in the programme for those applicants who are enrolled in a Dutch university or the KU Leuven. All other costs are for your own expenses.
4. For those PhD candidates who are not enrolled in a Dutch university or the KU Leuven, we ask a fee of €60 (€30 lunch & coffee for four days, €30 conference dinner) to cover the expenses. Please contact Dorieke Molenaar (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
• Read the prescribed literature in advance, you will be asked to reflect on the literature during one of the workshops;
• Hand in at least one question related to each article at email@example.com before Thursday 24 October 2019, 9.00 hours (CET);
• Give a presentation in one of the workshops and act as discussant for the presentation of one of the other participants.
• Write a paper in which your own research is related to the theme of the Autumn School.
Please see the course description for more information and the requirements for the writing assignments. For more information please visit the NISIS website.